- Email is electronic mail. It is a most popular service of the internet. It is a system to exchange digital messages between author and recipient.
Advantages of Email:
- Emails are delivered extremely fast when compared to traditional post
- Emails can be sent 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Emails can be sent and received from any computer, anywhere in the world, that has an Internet connection.
- It is cheaper than traditional mail system.
- Emails can be sent to one person or several people at once.
- There is always a record of the exact conversation in an email until deleted.
- People don't have to be present to receive the email.
- Messages can be encrypted making it possible to send confidential information.
- It is versatile. Messages, photos, videos etc can be sent easily and not need to pay extra charge as in postal mail.
Disadvantages of Email:
- The recipient needs access to the Internet to receive email.
- Viruses are easily spread via email attachments.
- Email is used for phishing. (sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be a legitimate company to scam the user into providing information, such as personal information and bank account numbers on a bogus website. The details will then be used for identity theft.)
- Minor mistake can deliver the email to wrong address.
- No guarantee the mail will be read until the user logs on and checks their email.