A server is a computer on the network that controls and manages other computers on the network. It provides facilities of the sharing of data, software, and hardware resources in the network. The server computer must be powerful computer having higher processing and storage capacity.
- A Web server is a system that delivers content or services to end users over the Internet. Web servers are computers that deliver (serves up) Web pages.
- Every Web server has an IP address and possibly a domain name. For example, the URL http://www.theinfozones.com/p/home.html, this sends a request to the Web server whose domain name is theinfozones.com. The server then fetches the page named home.html and sends it to the end users browser.
- Any computer can be turned into a Web server by installing server software and connecting the machine to the Internet. There are many Web server software applications, including public domain software and commercial packages.
- A Web server is a system that delivers content or services to end users over the Internet. A Web server consists of a physical server, server operating system (OS) and software used to facilitate HTTP communication.
- A Web server is also known as an Internet server.
- A network can have more than one server. Operating software used in server computers are different than stand-along computer. Server computers use network operating software.
- Server can be of two types: