- When an account for certain users is created, their user names appear on the welcome screen. Sometimes a user needs to be added to computer because they need access via a network to resources on the machine, but he/she will not be physically logging in to the computer.
- In such cases, the username can be remove from the welcome screen, while keeping the user account. To do this,
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ windowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpeiclaAccounts \ UserList
- Right click in the empty space in the right pane
- Create a new DWORD Value.
- Name this new value ‘Username’
- And Enter ‘0’ as the data value.
To enable the user
- Either double click the ‘username’ value and change the value data to ‘1’
- Delete the value.