What are the components of CPU?
- The components of CPU are:
- Control Unit: It controls and co-ordinate the overall functioning of the other units of the computer. It controls the flow of data between them during processing taking the instructions stored in the primary storage unit.
- Arithmetic Logic Unit: It contains two units:
Memory - These are special, high-speed storage area within the Central processing unit. The data must be represented in the memory before it can be processed e.g. if two numbers are to be multiplied, both numbers must be in the memory, and the result is also placed in the memory register. This is very fast memory and being on the CPU chip it is close to the ALU. Its purpose it to prevent delays in programs or data arriving from main memory.
- Arithmetic unit that performs all the mathematical operations, like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.
- Logic unit that performs all the logical operations like testing a value to see if is true or false, and comparative analysis consist of comparisons like less than, greater than, equal to or not etc.