What is special purpose and general purpose computer?
- Special purpose computer: This is the computer designed for a particular type of application only. It is defined as a stored program digital computer, whose architecture is oriented towards one or more applications.
- Computer meant for process control in an industry.
- Computer meant for air traffic control.
- Computer used in robots.
- Computer used for desktop publishing, etc.
- General purpose computer: This is the computer designed to solve a wide variety of problems from different fields. The hardware and software of such systems are adaptable for different environments.
- Most of the computers used in our normal day to day work are general purpose computers.