ITS Software Acquisition Office has been in operation since January, 1995. Our office provides a single, centralized point of contact where up-to-date information about all current software purchasing agreements may be obtained. Procedures for obtaining software will vary depending on the license agreement. (via)
- Demo software: Demo software is a trial version of software program designed to demonstrate what purchased version of the software is capable of doing. In demo software there is a restricted set of features like limited interface, not accessible some features, etc. The user must buy the software for full features.
- Shareware: Shareware software can be used on a trial basis. It is provided as demos for trial but for a limited time. Once trial period expires, the user must buy or pay for the software in order to continue using it.
- Freeware: This software is free for personal use.
- Retail software: It is of-the-shelf software sold in retail stores. The users need to buy it before using it. Examples: Microsoft Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Open-Source software: It is the software whose source code is available and can be customized and altered within the specified guidelines laid by the creator. Examples: Linux, Apache, Open office, etc.